Tiffany Bredfeldt vs. Todd Greene Prior Restraint Case (Pima County, AZ)

I have started this discussion thread for people who wish to continue the discussion on the Bredfeldt vs. Greene (2013) case. In short, Todd Greene is the founder, writer, and editor of RestrainingOrderAbuse.com. His website is how I was able to initially find the legal papers by Eugene Volokh and Aaron Caplan who were tremendous allies in my case Chan v. Ellis.

Todd's case in 2013 happened the same year as my own (Ellis v. Chan first, then later Chan v. Ellis that went all the way to the GA Supreme Court). For people who want to see the Essential Court Documents related to this case from 2013, I refer everyone to this link:

http://defiantly.net/tiffany-bredfeldt-v-todd-greene-essential-court-documents/

The documents to focus on are the BOLDED ones.

I am reasonably confident Todd has a stronger fighting chance this time around because Tiffany essentially forced Todd into the position of obtaining a court-appointed lawyer/defender in his case, Kent A. Davis. I don't know anything about Kent Davis yet and I hope he will consult with Eugene Volokh to help beef up Todd's legal position and arguments.

https://restrainingorderabuse.com/2016/05/21/todd-greene-appointed-counsel-in-redacted-v-greene-in-which-he-has-been-charged-with-civil-contempt-of-a-judicial-injunction/

Let the commentary continue...

Comments

• I think I got a phone message from Kent F. Davis before I’d even learned from the court who the new attorney I’d been assigned was. I left a phone message for him on a Friday. It was too late in the day to expect a response, so I also emailed. I got an immediate reply that was encouraging just from its precision.

I met with Kent a week later, three days ago, after a long conversation last Monday. Of himself, Kent says he’s “not dumb.” My unshakable impression is he’s brilliant, rigorous, and fearless. (That he’s a former member of an elite military corps was no surprise.) He told me he volunteered to take my case and had already consulted with Prof. Eugene Volokh by the time I met him. By the end of today, he will also have conferred with the judge twice in court and put the opposing counsel on notice that he’s got a tough row to hoe. I’m tasked only with what I know best, which is analysis and composition. Kent showed me a “mindmapping” program (XMind) to use to construct a timeline, and left me feeling insecure about nothing. He even reassured me that the 2010 ruling on which the 2013 “prior restraint” was based was itself flawed. (My opponents asserted my claims were invalidated by “res judicata.”) If the superior court doesn’t dissolve the 2013 order, Kent proposed bypassing the state courts and filing for relief in federal court, in which he clerked for several years. I don’t think I could be in more capable hands under the best of circumstances.

Some advice of Kent’s that I now know is well worth sharing: Don’t talk to the police. If you’re detained by the police, ask “Am I free to leave?” If you are, then you’re not under arrest. If you’re not free to leave, then you are under arrest (“seized”) even if you’ve been told otherwise. If you are under arrest, say, “I want my attorney,” and nothing else. I voluntarily interviewed with a police detective in January to avoid being detained in a cell. I didn’t have an attorney (or money for bail), so it seemed the best course, and I had nothing to hide. The reason I wouldn’t talk with a police officer now is that I’ve seen the report my interview generated, and it wasn’t faithful to what I said. The detective was very decent, kindly even—and he probably is—but that’s part of the shtick. It disarms a defendant and gets him talking—and anything the defendant says can be used in evidence against him…even if it’s not exactly what he said.

I was in court with my opponents on May 2. I didn’t turn my head and couldn’t tell you what they were wearing or who was in court with them (nor did I exit the courtroom until they’d had ample time to vacate the building). My accuser could be heard whining that nothing was going to be done to me immediately. (She also corrected the judge when he politely addressed her as Mrs.: “It’s Dr.,” she said pointedly.) She and her attorney, the same guy who represented her in the two prior proceedings, demanded I be jailed, so the judge very fairly granted my motion to be appointed counsel. I think my opponents’ cruelty is going to prove to be their undoing (finally).

I learned on Friday that my accuser’s attorney, who from my perspective has only a passing acquaintance with integrity, has since high-tailed it or been fired. He’s off the case. Maybe that’s because he stood to be implicated in some shady dealings, or maybe he or his former clients recognized he wasn’t competent to see the job through now that it’s going to be tougher than back-shooting a man whose hands are tied.

In my conversation with Kent, he used a couple of military idioms: “skulldrag” and “whipsaw.” I look forward to using them myself when the gag order has been lifted.
  • edited May 2016
    Great Update, Todd and welcome to RO Defense Forum! Glad to have you onboard to continue the dialog.

I am impressed by Kent Davis for a few reasons.

1. He is familiar with mind-mapping concept. And he recommends the same program I do, X-Mind. I used it to chart the many copyright extortionists ELI tracks.

2. I like that he has consulted with Eugene and appears to have some fire in his belly in your case. That was badly needed.

3. He took on your case not purely because of compensation. He appears to feel there is a true injustice involved with the 2010 & 2013 cases. And there was! I think he is "getting it". This could very well lead him to be an authority in Arizona regarding 1st Amendment issues, free speech, and the like.

4. I like his advice regarding the police. His advice echoes others I have heard when police want to detain or interrogate you.

Having said all that, this is what happens when these professorial bimbos decide to take things too far. Essentially, they backed you into the wall and forced you to take everything you learned in the last 10 years to fight back. You knew who to speak to behind the scenes and you have people guide you.

What the bimbos (Tiffany Bredfeldt & Jen Terpstra) have done is MAGNIFY the situation now. They cannot stop an entire forum community from discussing their inappropriate, wrongful legal antics. They cannot hope to "restrain" others from loudly complaining about wrongful, overbroad court orders that restrict an individual's right to free speech ABOUT someone.

I am much more confident that Kent Davis will secure a legal victory once and for all for you. You will get legal relief in one way, shape, or form.

And regarding Jeffrey Marks dropping out (or fired) off the case, I think that is humorous and it bodes quite well for you. If Jeffrey Marks was smart, he was reading and getting a thorough education about 1st Amendment rights as applied to online speech. He had to know this wasn't going to end well now that the genie is out of the bottle and you now had some legal help.

Going up against Eugene Volokh is never a good thing if you are a lawyer and it appears Tiffany's new lawyer is in for a fight. He better hope Tiffany doesn't stiff him in payment for fighting a losing case.
  • Congratulations Todd!! Kent sounds like the kind of bulldog we should all be afforded the first time allegations are made!! You are in the best hands between him and Professor Vokohl! :) Thanks to both of you for keeping us updated. It will be because of the due diligence and persistence from all of us along with speaking up that will be the catalyst for change in this broken system.

Hopefully it goes to Federal Court so that they are able to clearly see what's going on and implement severe consequences to your opponents for perjury and malicious prosecution.

• Does anyone know what happened to Todd G's blog (Talking Back to Restraining Orders)? It appears to be offline with a message saying it violated the WordPress "terms of service".
  • Yes, I have finally been able to report on the ROA website takedown matter in a separate discussion thread on this forum:

http://restrainingorderdefense.defiantly.net/forum/discussion/38/restrainingorderabuse-com-has-been-taken-down-by-wordpress-hopefully-temporarily
  • MatthewValor

Thanks for creating this forum to discuss Todd's case. It was actually though his website "Restraining order Abuse.com" that I was able to feel confident in selecting my appellate attorney to appeal a civil protection order that was obtained by my wife's affair partner because he felt threatened that I informed his HR department he was having an affair with my wife, and sent Facebook messages to his friends and family exposing his actions, and the icing on the cake - that the blog that I created about this experience was threatening towards him. The judge actually ruled that my blog was not protected under freedom of speech! We have since appeal and it was overturned by the Appellate court and remanded back to her court. She double down on all evidence but pointedly changed her mind that my blog "was protected speech." We are appealing again for the second time.

Throughout this process, Todd's blog was a strong source of information, guidance and plan of action and understanding how & what restraining abuse/fraud is. I wish him all the best as he works through his case as it slowly makes its way through the legal system.

MatthewValor - i'm sure you get tons of request to take a look at cases, but I would really appreciate your insight into mine. I organized the essential court documents in chronological order.
    https://thepoweroflightandtruth.wordpress.com/2016/05/10/essential-court-case-documents/

You can also email me from the websites email address.

Thanks.
  • Eugene Volokh criminal harrassment paper was included in full as an authority in the successful appeal in Florida titled Scott v. Blum. My name is Randy Scott and I stand by who I am and what I speak. If you are not able to feel that when you write, whatever you may write, then dont write. Most certainly if and when the challenge comes shout it from the mountain top. They went to put me in jail I pointed out the fraudulent notary two different dates!

So reversal came AND the judge resigned (of course unconnected) and the admin of the domestic violence intake resigned (of course unrelated) and the plainitiff attorney who handled one civil case in her entire career, this one, in between her gov career with local DA and then after this case appointed state assistant AG (of course all unrelated) and they wanted the case published. AND IT WAS PUBLISHED correctly in my favor.

This weaks of VAWA and fed funds to attack speech. (Of course unproven )
  • lmashau said:

MatthewValor

Thanks for creating this forum to discuss Todd's case. It was actually though his website "Restraining order Abuse.com" that I was able to feel confident in selecting my appellate attorney to appeal a civil protection order that was obtained by my wife's affair partner because he felt threatened that I informed his HR department he was having an affair with my wife, and sent Facebook messages to his friends and family exposing his actions, and the icing on the cake - that the blog that I created about this experience was threatening towards him. The judge actually ruled that my blog was not protected under freedom of speech! We have since appeal and it was overturned by the Appellate court and remanded back to her court. She double down on all evidence but pointedly changed her mind that my blog "was protected speech." We are appealing again for the second time.

Throughout this process, Todd's blog was a strong source of information, guidance and plan of action and understanding how & what restraining abuse/fraud is. I wish him all the best as he works through his case as it slowly makes its way through the legal system.

MatthewValor - i'm sure you get tons of request to take a look at cases, but I would really appreciate your insight into mine. I organized the essential court documents in chronological order.
    https://thepoweroflightandtruth.wordpress.com/2016/05/10/essential-court-case-documents/

Thanks.

Dr. that appeals case is dancing around the 1st amendment and looking at statute language. All these statutes are problematic when placed against the first amendment.

Yet justice is a money machine first and like Cav v. WARRIORS they extending the games makes money.

It is nice you have an attorney but still sense the frustration.

My case was won on statute language but I prepared well to the 1st amendment application.

One of these cases will pop to the US Supreme court. Especially since Georgia's Chan v Ellis laid the decision on the table. If another highest applicable state court decides otherwise the US Supreme court has to entertain it.

So requesting the indulgence of the blog operator here to offer hope here as an example http://www.dueprocessday.com only as a complete record of the court actions of one possible path to victory to those searching.
  • edited June 2016
    You have to decide if you truly want to go public. You have redacted your name and so forth. So that tells me you are not entirely comfortable even if someone did shine a light on your case.

Also, I am not sure about your narrative. Are you trying to report the affair as a matter of public service or are you trying to "stop the affair" because she is your wife?

People don't generally realize that most people don't care about other people's cases unless it is interesting. Sometimes, the legal issues are interesting. Other times, it is the narrative or circumstances.

People say they want to fight. Well, part of effectively fighting back is "going public", telling a good narrative, and why your case is important to others. However, I know that isn't always feasible and then you become entirely reliant on lawyers in a dark obscure court room.
    lmashau said:

MatthewValor

• edited June 2016
    Randy,

You can talk about your case all you want here. You can share all the good strategies you used with everyone.

I thought you did a tremendous job. You did something that I don't think I could have done, winning an appeal pro se.

This is why I started this forum. To talk about defense strategies. Anyone who has been in the arena and have earned victories (large or small) is free to share their insights with everyone.

That is why I put myself, my story, and my own case (warts and all) out there so that others can benefit from it. If my story and case inspires or assists others in their own cases, I am happy to have helped.

It is interesting to note that more people are jumping into the discussions which is a great thing. That means more eyes, ears, and brains directed towards the same cause.

My case was won on statute language but I prepared well to the 1st amendment application.

One of these cases will pop to the US Supreme court. Especially since Georgia's Chan v Ellis laid the decision on the table. If another highest applicable state court decides otherwise the US Supreme court has to entertain it.

So requesting the indulgence of the blog operator here to offer hope here as an example http://www.dueprocessday.com only as a complete record of the court actions of one possible path to victory to those searching.

• edited June 2016
    Ok, my fault for letting this discussion thread stray off-topic. I am now pulling it back on-topic and going to do a better job making sure discussions stay on track.

I went to the Pima County Superior Court website to get some updates on Todd's case. I found some downloadable entries that give broad strokes on what is happening with his case right now.

May 2, 2016 entry: https://www.hashdoc.com/documents/301041/tiffany-bredfeldt-vs-todd-greene-order-to-show-cause-contempt-may-2-2016-

May 16, 2016 entry: https://www.hashdoc.com/documents/301038/tiffany-bredfeldt-vs-todd-greene-minute-entry-may-16-2016-

May 31, 2016 entry: https://www.hashdoc.com/documents/301039/tiffany-bredfeldt-vs-todd-greene-minute-entry-may-31-2016-

June 13, 2016 entry: https://www.hashdoc.com/documents/301036/tiffany-bredfeldt-vs-todd-greene-minute-entry-june-13-2016-

June 21, 2016 entry: https://www.hashdoc.com/documents/301037/tiffany-bredfeldt-vs-todd-greene-minute-entry-june-21-2016-

IN summary, Tiffany's old lawyer wants out and a new lawyer is in. Todd got a public defender on his side and it looks like there is a counter-suit against Tiffany. The court now knows that Wordpress took down ROA. If this is not handled correctly by the public defender, it can make look Todd worse in the court's view.

I am still optimistic that Todd will ultimately prevail in this case because Tiffany pushed it too far. The best she can hope for is that the judge ignores the First Amendment to make the previously obnoxious court order stick. Todd appears to have a decent lawyer on his side and I don't think any judge in their right mind will allow the underlying order from 2013 to stand, much less have Todd held in contempt of court.
  • You have to decide if you truly want to go public. You have redacted your name and so forth. So that tells me you are not entirely comfortable even if someone did shine a light on your case.

Also, I am not sure about your narrative. Are you trying to report the affair as a matter of public service or are you trying to "stop the affair" because she is your wife?

People don't generally realize that most people don't care about other people's cases unless it is interesting. Sometimes, the legal issues are interesting. Other times, it is the narrative or circumstances.

People say they want to fight. Well, part of effectively fighting back is "going public", telling a good narrative, and why your case is important to others. However, I know that isn't always feasible and then you become entirely reliant on lawyers in a dark obscure court room.

lmashau said:

MatthewValor

lmashau said:

MatthewValor

Thanks.

Rarely do the appellate courts entertain First Amendment issues. It's called "constitutional avoidance" and it's a sleazy evasion, particularly in First Amendment cases. So I see that in _Mashaud v. Boone_ that the appellate judges went contortionist and stuck their heads up their colons to get away from discussing the First Amendment. Other cases where it was avoided: Chan v. Ellis, Grist v. Smith, Ramsey v. Harman, and so many more discussed by Law Profs. Volokh and Caplan.

In _State v. Robert Bishop,_ the NC Supreme Court had no way of avoiding the First Amendment. And of course, that was a criminal case, whereas most of the cases where appellate courts give you the runaround are restraining order cases, which are deceptively said to be "civil cases."

It looks like Dr. Mashaud has chosen a very competent lawyer in Kaplan.